Thursday, September 27, 2007

Floeytry... Poetry According to Floyd

September as a Heritage Month in South Africa has been dedicated to Poetry. In commemoration of our heritage, we re-publish the Poetry earlier published in the blog. They are not for comment.

The Juxtaposed Song of Azania

On this street
hand to mouth is their psalm
Ignorance their rhyme
and hunger their lullaby
yet in MISERABLE woebegone faces they sing
we will vote, and they, provide
cross the street
the dull lyrics fade
and dulcet ones begin
anguish’s is monotonous
destitution is dull tune
better sing richness and delight
serenade treasure
and hum majesty
then the streets intersect
at least they meet somewhere
for same leaders they cheer
common vote they cast
and in one name they are called
South Africans!
Damn!


Contemporary Azanian Child

A child of about just over teen years
Strolling the streets of Jozi
Empty stomach, empty handed
Only 5 bucks for a taxi home
Home being a single roomed shack in township house backyard
A child full of unattainable ambitions
‘Wish I could own a BMW or Benza’
‘Wish I could buy a house in sub-urban Jozi’
‘Wish I could dine and wine from silver plates and cups’
‘Wish I could learn how to use silver spoons, forks and knives’
‘Wish I could wear Guess what? Palazollo pitti and fake chuck Taylor sneakers’
‘Wish I could jol a well-shaped, facially gifted lover with class’
‘Wish I could buy chicken feet to feed my empty baseless belly’
And also wish to get another 5 bucks for a taxi to Jozi
‘Maybe I will get a job’
Damn!

1 comment:

Thembani Mbadlanyana said...

Mtshana I really enjoy reading your astute and thought provoking writings! You really inspire me

FLOYD'S PERSPECTIVES

WELCOME TO FLOYD'S PERPECTIVES. PLEASE BE AT LIBERTY TO MAKE CONTRIBUTIONS AND ENGAGE THE VIEWS EXPRESSED. NO CONCEIT.